Date Set for Building Project Vote
At the regular meeting of the Wellsville Central School Board of Education on November 26, 2007 a resolution was approved to set a date for presenting a building and renovation project proposal to district voters (see LEGAL NOTICE on page 3). The vote date was set for February 12, 2008 and will be held at the Wellsville Middle/High School from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. This project was developed with significant input from a community group that was asked by the Board of Education to make recommendations to them regarding the needs of the district. The process included a review of a building condition survey that was completed in January 2006, and input from staff and the community group. The board and community group also considered the impact that a project would have on the local taxpayer. Based upon the identified needs of the district and the high level of State aid (93.2%) available to finance the project, the decision was made to ask the voters to consider a $25,895,000 project. Major components of the project include, but are not limited to:
- Construction of a new bus garage.
- Roof replacement at the elementary and high schools.
- Conversion of open classrooms into individual classrooms at the elementary school.
- New and improved heating systems at the elementary school.
- Improved parking areas at both sites.
- New playgrounds at the elementary school.
- All weather game field and eight-lane track at the elementary school.
- New tennis courts at the middle/high school.
- Major renovations to the upper and lower gyms at the middle/high school.
- Upgraded practice fields and a fire access road at the middle/high school.
The plans include many other improvements that are too numerous to list. However, over the next two months we will be updating you on the specific work to be done at each site. We will be holding informational meetings on Wednesday, January 30, and Tuesday, February 5, 2008. In addition, we will be mailing information to all residents of the district and providing information via the press and radio. Finally, we will make presentations to any group -- large or small -- interested in learning more about the project. We encourage and welcome any questions and requests for information. Anyone desiring information or wishing to set up a meeting, should contact Byron Chandler, superintendent, at the WCS District Office (596-2170).